Healthy For You and the Environment
Healthy indoor living and protecting the environment are key issues for everyone building a new home. Linwood specializes in building homes that achieve both of these objectives. Some of the benefits are:
- Use of natural wood in homes increases the quality of the air we breathe.
- Allowing more natural day light acts as a simple way to improve health and is a standard design feature in all Linwood homes.
- Increased comfort inside by using energy-efficient windows combined with savings on operating costs.
- Lower cost of adding environmentally friendly features during the design phase.
- Less waste and lower disposal costs in construction.
Linwood only uses lumber from second growth trees in sustainably managed forests. This helps to reduce or prevent greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which are thought to be the major cause of climate change. Forests help clean the air by absorbing pollutants, absorbing carbon dioxide, and releasing oxygen.
Some interesting facts:
- Trees incorporate the absorbed carbon into their wood. The products made from that wood continue to store the carbon indefinitely.
- A typical 2500 sq. ft. wood frame home has about 30 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent stored in its structure. This is the equivalent of driving an average passenger car for five years.
- The U.S. and Canada have about the same amount of forested land today as they did 100 years ago.
- The volume of annual net timber growth in these two countries is currently 36% higher than the volume of annual timber harvested.